The 2005 Golf Trip marked the 10th Anniversary of the trip, which was started by Ben, Wade, and Nick in Myrtle Beach. Over the years it has grown steadily and we consistently have 10-12 guys go each year. This year provided the best golf courses as we played Arthur Hills, George Fazio, and Robert Trent Jones. Needless to say, there was A LOT of water and sand!! I’m sure we produced a record number of lost balls this year!
Everyone got down there on Wednesday as we got settled into our condos, which were very nice. That evening we had the traditional pork tenderloin and played cards. Golf started the following morning as we played Arthur Hills and it tore us apart!! This course produced several scores over 100 but John did manage to shoot the low round of 87 for this course. After the first round on Thursday, the rain came while we ate lunch in the clubhouse. Then the rain left and we were back playing again for the second round. The scores were not much better!
Thursday evening we went out to eat at Alexander’s. Wade had reserved us a party room but there wasn’t much to party about after reading the menu prices!! And once again, our dinner experience was abnormal. Our waitress wasn’t the most personal and somehow took offense to some comments made by Big C. Wade had his usual bottle of wine and everyone loved the gumbo! (except me) The mahi mahi was very good!
Friday morning we played at George Fazio, which was a little shorter and less difficult than Arthur Hills. JD once again had the low round of 81 for the course. For the second round we did a fun round but after 3 holes the rain started pouring on us and we got rain checks. So, we had to head back to the condos where we had our favorite adult beverages, food, and card playing. This evening we cooked chicken and vegetables for dinner with semi-burnt buns, which the buzzed cook Wade Smith persistently said they had to stay in the oven longer.
Saturday we played Robert Trent Jones, the favorite course for most of us. RTJ was very scenic with a lot of water and hole #10 was a par 5 lined with palm trees that headed straight towards the ocean. The green was right on the ocean and the view was great! Again, JD had the low round for the course with a 79!!! And JD won this year’s golf trip as he was lights out!!! After having lunch back at the condos we began the fun round as we played a 3-man scramble and Captain’s Ball. Everyone lost the Captain’s Ball and Ben, Nick & Big C won the 3-man scramble shooting a three under par. That evening we went to a restaurant called Wild Wings, similar to a BW3’s. We finished the night off by playing several Texas Hold-em tournaments.
- Wade’s “baked” Pork tenderloin and leek (5 year tradition)
- The outstanding golf courses we played
- Carmen not winning anything (skins, cards, etc.)
- Carmen’s bowling ball bag
- Ben’s shot from his knees on top of a sand bunker
- The perfect timing for rain on Day 1 and Day 2
- Nick’s gin and gin w/ a twist of gin for Wade
- Several Texas Hold-em tournaments w/ winners of (Wade, Ben, Big C, Sam)
- John’s DeWalt set
- John’s 79 on Robert Trent Jones
- John kicking everyone’s ass during the tournament!
- Captain’s ball being lost by all the Sarge’s
- The “rude” waitress at Alexander’s
- The menu prices at Alexander’s
- Wade’s hairy buffalo wing
- The birds that swiped John’s crackers from the golf cart on RTJ
- The alligator on hole 16 at Arthur Hills
- Birdie warm-up range balls at Fazio
- The easy access condo doors that can be opened with a screwdriver
- Kathy (walk quieter) our downstairs neighbor
- Sam’s 62 degree setting on the thermostat
- Ed’s “I’m going to win the game” saying
- “Dead on balls accurate” saying
- The fake Captain’s Ball
- No cornhole or batchee ball due to no place to play
- Sam’s menu choice at Alexander’s “What item on the menu has the most food?”
- John’s pressure putt on the 18th at RTJ to finish with a 79
- “Freight-train Soul-train” quote from the “high” guy at the grocery store parking lot
1. JD +14
2. Wade +23
3. Ben +25
4. Sam +32
5. Nick +35
6. Ed +47
7. Rex +57
8. Carmen +58
9. Big C +64